Wednesday, November 19, 2008

New Crazy Obsession

Coupons! Coupons! Coupons! That word gets me excited and puts a smile on my face every time. You might find it weird but it is a ton of fun especially when you get the store to pay you to take the product off their self. I got into couponing just after we moved to Charleston. Here food prices are expensive. Our grocery bill jumped up about 60%! It was ridicules. Luckily for me, my good friend Wendy introduced me to coupons. Every Wednesday night a bunch of us girls get together and we coupon. We each bring our spoils to share with everyone. That means any deals we heard about or any of the extra coupons we found recycle bin diving. Yes you read it right, we go to our local recycling bind dumpsters and look for all the Sunday papers people have dumped. We then bring them home and then clip the coupons. In the past few months I have cut our grocery bill down by 50% and we have at least a month of food storage if not more! My favorite day every 3 months is when a local grocery store Harris Teeter triples coupons up to .75 for 3 day’s only, so a .75 coupon is now worth $2.25! Can I just tell you all of us girls that coupon go hard core shopping for 3 day’s getting amazing deals. By the end of the three day’s you have been in the Harris Teeter stores so many times that you know each of the stores like the back of your hand. Just writing about couponing gets me excited. . . help me I think I’m addicted to coupons :)



Valerie and I on one of our Harris Teeter adventures




My coupon book that is in a 2 inch 3-ring binder alphabetized




First adventure to Harris Teeter, September of 2008. Over $300 worth of grocery's for about $60.Second Harris Teeter Adventure November 2008. One of the transactions I made this trip my sub total was $0.00 then you added the tax and I only had to pay .34 for $40 worth of grocery's! In this picture I spent $34 for $300 worth of grocery's.
In this picture I spent $40 for about another $200 worth of grocery's.

7 comments:

The Lindquists said...

I think you need to come back to Utah and teach the women of the 19th ward about your 'couponing'. I could sure use the $$ savings and food storage!

Brent and Jessica said...

That is awesome!

Cash Family said...

That's simply amazing. Wow.

Amateur Steph said...

I am so impressed! I thought I was doing good by throwing my coupons into a folder in order of date. Now I see from your binder that my couponing is a second-rate attempt. You should do a blog about how you organized your binder. It looks way cool.

Marly said...

ok, I haven't quite gotten this good. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Probably because I'm not just buying sell items. I don't know. I need someone to show me how to do it. So annoying.

Susan and Dave said...

Impressive Girl. I could also take a few pointers myself. Groceries are pretty expensive here in Washington and it's a killer. I need some enlightenment! I guess I need to start by actually getting a paper...

Janell said...

Good job! My record is walking out of the store with three bags of groceries and $3 cash in hand :) Of course, it was only about $80 of over-priced groceries. When I get back into the grocery shopping thing, I'll have to call you for tips!